[B-Greek] Teach Nouns or Verbs first?

Jeffrey T. Requadt jeffreyrequadt_list at hotmail.com
Thu May 15 19:53:13 EDT 2008

This brings to mind another problem that I see with NT/Koine Greek
education, and in college education in general (and I know that this
observation has been made many times over by other people). You have a whole
bunch of people who may be very knowledgeable in their field (or who may
not...), but DON'T KNOW HOW TO TEACH. I'm not trying to be elitest, although
I am indeed a public educator. But from personal experience, both as a
student-learner and a teacher-learner (and those two are never completely
different), the more you understand about how people learn and how human
brains work, the better you will teach, and most Greek teachers (and college
professors) just don't know about teaching, learning, and the human brain. I
know this was true when I was in college, and it has definitely been true in
my own teaching experience. The better I am at providing comprehensible
input, using different intelligences and learning styles, targeting
instruction and differentiating it for individuals, providing quality
feedback, providing clear and consistent expectations, and all the other
tools in my toolbox, and USING THEM PURPOSEFULLY, NOT RANDOMLY, the more
effective my teaching is, and the more lasting my students' learning is. You
can "teach" something a thousand times and not have the student learn it if
you don't teach it the way they need to learn it. If we really want students
to learn NT Greek (and I'm not a teacher of NT Greek, so this would be for
someone else to digest, I suppose), then we need to make sure that we are
teaching it the way that we know best for students to learn. There has been
a ridiculous amount of research on successfully teaching/learning languages,
what I think has been referrred to as Second Language Aquisition, or SLA.
I'm more familiar with ESL, or English as a Second Language, and SIOP
(Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol). The point is, there is so much
research, and so many resources, available, that I think it's a little
discouraging that so many students are learning NT Greek with methods that
are patently not working, unless we define "learning NT Greek" as "can
identify Greek letters, recognize endings, and rely on other resources than
the text, such as lexicons and grammars, to derive some semblance of
understanding from the text." I think that if I were to begin teaching
Greek, which I am in no way qualified to do, since I don't have any real
comprehension of it myself (although I can identify letters, read the sounds
of the words proficiently, and struggle through some simple text usually
without resorting to a lexicon), I would begin by reading as much as I could
on SLA, especially in the field of Classics, and try to have leveled texts
prepared--NT and other literature from the same time period, but different
genres, and try to bring in people who speak modern Greek fluently, and
provide a lot of background knowledge of Hellenistic culture, and have my
students to skits and write poems and and and and and... basically, try to
involve as many different parts of their brain as possible. Again, just
because I reccomend this kind of approach doesn't mean that that's how I
actually instruct all the time in my classroom. I'm a relatively new
teacher, after all, and I'm still trying to figure out what the heck I'm
doing. And my original point was that so many of the people who "teach"
Greek don't actually know how to teach. I'm not trying to put them down;
they may be great motivators and explainers and scaffolders. But I think
that in the vast majority of cases, even the successful ones probably don't
know what it is that makes them so successful. They just don't know. They
haven't had to learn all the stuff that we had to learn in teacher's college
about brain development and social learning and scaffolding and
psycholinguistics, and the link between reading and writing, and physical
learning, etc. And like I always say, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Jeffrey T. Requadt
(honored to be considered a teacher by some)