[B-Greek] FW: Titus 3:5b

Nicholas Lamme nlamme at midamerica.edu
Thu May 15 17:19:31 EDT 2008

------ Forwarded Message
From: Barry <nebarry at verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 18:38:11 -0400
To: <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] Titus 3:5b

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nicholas Lamme" <nlamme at midamerica.edu>
To: <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org> Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 3:50 PM
Subject: [B-Greek] Titus 3:5b > Titus 3:5b reads: > > ESWSEN hHMAS DIA
LOUTROU PALIGGENESIAS KAI ANAKAINWSEWS PNEUMATOS hAGIOU > > Do LOUTROU
PALIGGENESIAS and ANAKAINWSEWS PNEUMATOS hAGIOU refer to the > same > event
or does LOUTROU PALIGGENESIAS refer to baptism while ANAKAINWSEWS >
PNEUMATOS hAGIOU refer to the work of the HS in regeneration?  Is it >
incorrect to infer a parallelism akin to Hebrew poetry here and so read >
these as the same thing?  Thanks. BARRY WROTE:

οὐκ ἐξ ἔργων τῶν ἐν δικαιοσύνῃ ἃ ἐποιήσαμεν ἡμεῖς ἀλλὰ κατὰ τὸ αὐτοῦ ἔλεος
ἔσωσεν ἡμᾶς διὰ λουτροῦ παλιγγενεσίας καὶ ἀνακαινώσεως πνεύματος ἁγίου...
You have the key text above so I won't repeat it in b-Greek here.  I am not
sure there is anything in the specific grammar of the text which would
really nail this down.  Until your question, I have usually assumed that it
was two separate events, and saw it similarly to John 3:5 (and yes, I know
that there is more than one interpretation of that passage as well).  I
wouldn't call it Hebrew parallelism, but rather a species of apposition,
which would make KAI epexegetical, "the washing of regeneration, even the
renewal of the Holy Spirit."  It occurred to me that the presence of the
article before ANAKAINWSEWS might imply a distinction between the two, but
since it is frequent to omit the article in prepositional phrases used
adverbially, as here, I don't know if that's really helpful or not.  I
suspect this is something that has to be determined on a broader contextual
basis, if it can be determined at all. BTW, Nicholas, it's good to see a
fellow "Only Perfect Church" guy here.  I was a long time member of Trinity
OPC in Hatboro, PA...  :) N.E. Barry Hofstetter Professor, WRTS
http://www.wittenbergreformed.org Mentor, TNARS http://www.tnars.net/
Classics Instructor, TAA http://www.theamericanacademy.net and me:
http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry http://my.opera.com/barryhofstetter/blog
Barry,

     Thank you for the feedback.  I do think that this is helpful.  On a
more thoughtful reading of the text, I suppose that I wouldn’t want to call
this some sort of parallelism either.  Although my first thoughts about that
were do to the actual structure of the text in Nestle-Aland.  The
indentation of the text, I think, implies a quotation of some kind, or some
kind of poetry.  I agree also that John 3:5 seems to refer to two different
things.  I’m not sure that is the case here.  But I’m open to the
possibility.  My reasons for seeing the KAI as epexegetical may be wholly
contextual and theological.  Thanks again for you feedback.

Nick Lamme
Faith OPC
Pole Tavern, NJ

BTW:  I do think that there is some debate among “scholars” in the OPC
whether the P stands for “perfect” or “pure”.  I say pick your poison.
Though, it has been a real pleasure to be a part of this denomination.