[B-Greek] Teach Nouns or Verbs first?

Kenneth Litwak javajedi2 at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 14:55:36 EDT 2008

   In preparing to teach Beginning Greek, I've noticed
that there are some significant differences between
Mounce (which I am using because that's the book
everyone else uses at the school, and the one
recommended on Rod Decker's site) and others.  Black,
Machen (which I learned from), etc. put verbs right up
front.  Mounce makes you wait ten lessons before you
actually get to verbs.  You use them before that in
exercises but you don't really learn what you're
looking at.  Does anyone have comments on the choice
of verbs first or nouns first when teaching Greek?

  Also, my experience was to learn accents right away
with all the rules.  Mounce talks about them briefly
and Black even less.  I think knowing the rules are
helpful, unless one is only going to read Majuscules.
What do others think? Thanks.

KEn