[B-Greek] Titus 3:5b

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Wed May 14 18:38:11 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicholas Lamme" <nlamme at midamerica.edu>
To: <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 3:50 PM
Subject: [B-Greek] Titus 3:5b

> Titus 3:5b reads:
>
> ESWSEN hHMAS DIA LOUTROU PALIGGENESIAS KAI ANAKAINWSEWS PNEUMATOS hAGIOU
>
> Do LOUTROU PALIGGENESIAS and ANAKAINWSEWS PNEUMATOS hAGIOU refer to the
> same
> event or does LOUTROU PALIGGENESIAS refer to baptism while ANAKAINWSEWS
> PNEUMATOS hAGIOU refer to the work of the HS in regeneration?  Is it
> incorrect to infer a parallelism akin to Hebrew poetry here and so read
> these as the same thing?  Thanks.

οὐκ ἐξ ἔργων τῶν ἐν δικαιοσύνῃ ἃ ἐποιήσαμεν ἡμεῖς ἀλλὰ κατὰ τὸ αὐτοῦ ἔλεος
ἔσωσεν ἡμᾶς διὰ λουτροῦ παλιγγενεσίας καὶ ἀνακαινώσεως πνεύματος ἁγίου...

You have the key text above so I won't repeat it in b-Greek here.  I am not
sure there is anything in the specific grammar of the text which would
really nail this down.  Until your question, I have usually assumed that it
was two separate events, and saw it similarly to John 3:5 (and yes, I know
that there is more than one interpretation of that passage as well).  I
wouldn't call it Hebrew parallelism, but rather a species of apposition,
which would make KAI epexegetical, "the washing of regeneration, even the
renewal of the Holy Spirit."  It occurred to me that the presence of the
article before ANAKAINWSEWS might imply a distinction between the two, but
since it is frequent to omit the article in prepositional phrases used
adverbially, as here, I don't know if that's really helpful or not.  I
suspect this is something that has to be determined on a broader contextual
basis, if it can be determined at all.

BTW, Nicholas, it's good to see a fellow "Only Perfect Church" guy here.  I
was a long time member of Trinity OPC in Hatboro, PA...  :)

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Professor, WRTS
http://www.wittenbergreformed.org
Mentor, TNARS http://www.tnars.net/