[B-Greek] Syllabification

Kenneth Litwak javajedi2 at yahoo.com
Tue May 13 15:44:05 EDT 2008

   I don't think I was ever taught about
syllabification in English or Greek, so it was
interesting to see a formal presentation of it in
Mounce's beginning Greek book.  I'm wondering though,
about one of his rules.  He says that if a cluster of
consonants can be pronounced, you should keep them
together and the cluster goes with the following
vowel.  His example for this is EM-PRO-SQEN.  I
haven't got anything with me to check this word out,
but I would have guessed this ought to be EM-PROS-QEN
for two reasons.  First, I don't think that SQEN is
capable of really being pronounced as one thing and
second, I would have guessed that PROS is in fact the
preposition PROS with a prefix and a suffix as part of
how the word came to have its meaning.  Is Mounce's
rule valid and if so, is this example valid, or is the
rule valid but the example invalid?  Thanks.

Ken