[B-Greek] hOS in 1 Timothy 3:16

Jonathan Bailey baileyjn at hotmail.com
Tue May 13 15:34:54 EDT 2008

Hello all,

I was wondering if the famous, or infamous, hOS in the critical text of 1 Timothy 3:16 is thought to possibly be referring to the MYSTHRION EUSEBEIAS earlier in thhe verse, as a kind of pesonification.

I'm familiar with laxity of gender concord throughout the GNT, and particularly common in John or really anywhere where the PNEUMA HAGION is referred to as masculine. I do seem to remember, just from personal reading, that hOS is found in a number of places where hON and hH would be thought to be found. But I am wondering how common this kind of construction is in Paul.

I've heard the break in 1 Timothy 3:16 be interpreted as a point at which Paul breaks into a quotation where the referent for the relative particle is just missing because it was not quoted. Is this understanding common? Is it really necessary? It seems you either need to emend the text to the Byzantine QEOS or to hON as is found in some manuscripts, or you need to come up with something to explain the lack of concorde such as being quoted from a hymn, or you can make meaning out of the text as it stands. What's wrong with the final option? Can this text just make sense leaving it at hOS and assuming it refers to the MYSTHRION? Does Paul ever do this sort of thing elsewhere? (Still in Iraq, still don't have Bibleworks, still need help).

Regards,

Jon