[B-Greek] Aorist as Verbal Aspect

Ken Penner ken.penner at acadiau.ca
Tue May 13 10:30:32 EDT 2008

Hi Mitch,

I'm not sure I speak for Campbell, Porter or McKay in the following.

When we say aspect is "subjective" we mean there is nothing about an event itself that demands that a certain aspect be used.
To use the classic English example (Comrie, Aspect, 4), "John read that book yesterday; while he was reading it, the postman came." The same act of reading can be expressed using the perfective ("read") and imperfective ("was reading").

By way of contrast, I cannot change tenses as easily. I can't choose to say "John is reading that book" if the reading has already taken place. This is because tense depends on the time the statement is made. Aspect depends not on this fixed, objective "Speech time" but on a moveable "Reference time." That "Reference time" can be chosen by the speaker; in this sense it is subjective. In "John read that book yesterday", the Reference time is "yesterday"; in "while he was reading it, the postman came", the Reference time for "was reading" is time of the postman's arrival.

Perfective is used in the first clause because the reference time (yesterday) is external to the event (reading the book). Imperfective is used in the second clause because the reference time (the postman's arrival) is internal to the same event (reading the book).

Now to your question: why is the Aorist not used for present situations? Why is a current event rarely portrayed from an external viewpoint?
Let's try to imagine such a case: the time of the event and the speech coincide, but the reference point is external to the time of the event. In English, "By the time you read this, I will have written this message." That has a reference point (your reading) outside the event (my writing), and the speech at the same time as the event.
Or another: "I was going to answer this message after I got to work." Reference=getting to work; event=answer; speech time=event time.

How often do we make such statements? Not often. Most commonly, when we speak of the present, we do not shift the reference time to a point external to the event.

Now, with that said, sometimes we break the rules for effect, or even by mistake, or there is more than one acceptable way of expressing the same thing.
I am writing this hoping it clarifies things / I have written this hoping it will clarify things.

Ken M. Penner, Ph.D. (on Tense, Aspect, and Modality in Hebrew)
Acadia Divinity College
Hebrew and Greek vocabulary memorization software:
http://purl.org/net/kmpenner/flash/