[B-Greek] Aorist Indicative Example

Webb Mealy webb at selftest.net
Mon May 12 23:16:11 EDT 2008

Dear List,

I suppose I've been influenced by Porter's views on aspect, so I submit this
example for consideration.

hO DE QEOS DIDWSIN AUTWi SWMA KAQWS hQELHSEN

And God gives it a body just as he wishes (1 Cor. 15:38).

I've translated it the way it looks to me-the aorist expressing a general
principle, and not implying any focus whatever on the notion that God's
choice (HQELHSEN, aorist indicative) precedes the giving (DIDWSIN, present
indicative). Am I wrong about that? Also, what is the difference in nuance
between what we have above, and the following?

hO DE QEOS DIDWSIN AUTWi SWMA KAQWS QELEI

Is there a reason why Paul mightn't have said this latter if he meant more
or less exactly what I've said in English? To me, the aorist just looks
right.

Webb Mealy

  _____

It has removed 11352 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len>  for free now!