[B-Greek] Suggestions for self-teaching Greek

MMB marmarbrandl2 at iprimus.com.au
Sat May 10 17:16:15 EDT 2008

Kevin:

You wrote:

> I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks now and I have a
> question.  I
> want to learn Greek (hence my lurking here), but don't know the best
> place
> to start.
>
> Basically I want to learn on my own right now with an eye toward
> taking a
> more formal course later.  I've looked at a lot of different
> materials, but
> I'm just not sure where to start.  I don't want to end up backing
> myself
> into a corner where I have to unlearn or relearn when I move on.
>
> Originally I was leaning toward Mounce's materials, but then discovered
> Athenaze, but I did't know if that would be suitable for self-study.
> Would
> you recommend either of those or is there something else that would be
> better.
>
> Thanks for your help.

I live remote from anywhere I could attend a class or buy a book. So my
experience is what it is, all that I could do in the circumstances.

I have no way of judging whether a better experience is possible, but I
am sure many people on this list will be able to comment on the routes
I chose and I welcome that. But, for what it is worth, here is what I
have done with Greek in the self-teaching line.

I began online with a study group on Pharr's Homeric Greek on the
wonderful Textkit site. <http://www.textkit.com/> Those Pharr groups
seem to have lapsed, but it was enjoyable to begin Greek with Homer and
some guidance. I also downloaded Smyth's Grammar and later bought it on
eBay where I also bought Middle Liddell (Intermediate version of the
wonderful Lexicon by Liddell, Scott and Jones, LSJ).

In 2006 on a trip to Sydney I had the chance to attend five of ten
lessons in a course at University of Sydney led by an excellent
teacher. The text used was "Athenaze". After I returned I continued to
work with that text doing one lesson a week. I bought the Teacher's
Handbook (and later also Book 2 with teacher's handbook). At the end of
year I complete Book 2.

Of course, it was not as good as that excellent teacher, but I had no
other option.

Now I belong to the GreekStudy group list
(<http://www.quasillum.com/study/greekstudy.php>) as well as this one
and the Classics-L list, and am reading some Epictetus with a group on
the GreekStudy list, lead by a dedicated and knowledgeable member.

That's what I did, for what it is worth.

I hope others comment. Let us know what route you take and good luck.
It is a journey worth taking.

Maria Brandl
Australia