[B-Greek] Mark 12.24

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Fri May 9 08:02:59 EDT 2008

On May 8, 2008, at 11:07 PM, Mitch Larramore wrote:

> EFH AUTOIS hO IHSOUS OU DIA TOUTO PLANASQE MH EIDOTES
> TAS GRAFAS MHDE THN DUNAMIN TOU QEOU
>
> Jesus said to them, “Aren’t you deceived  for this
> reason, because you don’t know the scriptures or the
> power of God? (NET)
>
> Can this be translated differently, maybe something
> like:
>
> For this reason you are deceived, with the result that
> you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God.
>
> This is spoken immediately after the Sadducees ask
> Jesus whose wife she will be having "had" seven
> husbands (brothers), none of them leaving seed. In
> other words, it seems to me they are simply making a
> mockery of Scripture rather than approaching it
> reverently.
>
> What I am really trying to determine is if the DIA
> TOUTO can refer to the silly way the Sadducees
> approach the Scripture, evidence by their question to Jesus.

(1) Your proposal seems to ignore the OU which precedes and turns DIA
TOUTO PLANASQE into a question with the reason for the "difficulty"
with the question raised highlighted at the outset: "Isn't THIS the
reason for your confusion? -- that you don't know the scriptures nor
God's power either?" The initial OU makes this a question that expects
a "yes" answer.

(2) I wouldn't be so quick to call Sadducean hermeneutics "silly";
like other methodologies for interpretation, this one involves certain
assumptions about the boundaries of the canon of scripture (Torah
only) and whether that canon should be interpreted in terms of
original intention or in terms of present-day circumstances. At any
rate, it doesn't seem to be Sadducean hermeneutics that Jesus attacks
here; he draws on a text WITHIN the Sadducean canon (from Exodus) to
respond to the question put to him.