[B-Greek] Mark 12.24

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 07:46:16 EDT 2008

With a little context.
23ἐν τῇ ἀναστάσει [ὅταν ἀναστῶσιν]τίνος αὐτῶν ἔσται γυνή;οἱ γὰρ ἑπτὰ ἔσχον αὐτὴν γυναῖκα.24ἔφη αὐτοῖς ὁ Ἰησοῦς·οὐ διὰ τοῦτο πλανᾶσθε μὴ εἰδότες τὰς γραφὰς μηδὲ τὴν δύναμιν τοῦ θεοῦ;
23 EN THi ANASTASEI [hOTAN ANASTWSIN] TINOS AUTWN ESTAI GUNH?  hOI GAR hEPTA ESXON AUTHN GUNAIKA.  24 EFH AUTOIS IHSOUS, "OU DIA TOUTO PLANASQE MH EIDOTES TAS GRAFAS MHDE THN DUNAMIN TOU QEOU ?"
The question you are posing resolves to whether Jesus' question refers back to the question the Sadducees had posed or whether it refers forward to what he himself says concerning the question.  In the LXX this construction does seem to draw a conclusion from what has preceeded.  Since Jesus' question is introduced by οὐ [OU] it therefore expecting an affirmative response -- "Is it not …"  The Sadducees' question doesn't set forth any conclusion.  It is only in Jesus' statement that a conclusion is given "You don't know the scriptures."  I would say that because of this it can only refer to Jesus' statement.

 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.