[B-Greek] Mark 12.24

Mitch Larramore mitchlarramore at yahoo.com
Thu May 8 23:07:42 EDT 2008

EFH AUTOIS hO IHSOUS OU DIA TOUTO PLANASQE MH EIDOTES
TAS GRAFAS MHDE THN DUNAMIN TOU QEOU

Jesus said to them, “Aren’t you deceived  for this
reason, because you don’t know the scriptures or the
power of God? (NET)

Can this be translated differently, maybe something
like:

For this reason you are deceived, with the result that
you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God.

This is spoken immediately after the Sadducees ask
Jesus whose wife she will be having "had" seven
husbands (brothers), none of them leaving seed. In
other words, it seems to me they are simply making a
mockery of Scripture rather than approaching it
reverently.

What I am really trying to determine is if the DIA
TOUTO can refer to the silly way the Sadducees
approach the Scripture, evidence by their question to Jesus.

Mitch Larramore
Sugar Land, Texas