[B-Greek] Point of Antithesis in Language Teaching Methodologies

vunzndi at vfemail.net vunzndi at vfemail.net
Thu May 8 19:56:37 EDT 2008

Dear Ruth,

let me please say first of all that I agree entirely that an approach
which the student does not internalise a language in anyway whatsoever
will not work. but rather it also needs to be noted that non
grammar-translation methods do not always work. By halfway houses I
was refering to those methodologies thet students internalise but do
not have total fluency as a primary aim.

Studies of adults who move from one language community to another show
that whilst these adults can function to a degree in a second
language, however without specific language study there are some
points of a language that are not usually grasped.

The basic unit for communication in the sentance, however non-native
users of a language often translate at the level of words. There are
many cases where the changes a not a matter changing words but of
different structure. A simple example would be, "Hello, Mr Green!" in
say Chinese the word order changes to that of "Mr Green, hello!".

Learning a language has levels - if a persons understanding is at
level one then then can understand a level one expression by either
what they know or extending vocabulary, and a level two expression may
be comprenedable with guidance, however a level three expression is
beyond the person. Many language learners try to improve by increasing
vocabulary, though some vocabulary increase maybe needed it is guided
exposure to language of the next level up that is essential. Other
language learners are at level one and wonder why they do not progress
by exposure to level 3 language.

In fact by this model there are more than 3 levels to Koine Greek ( I
would say 4 or 5) - the key to a good course is how to enable people
to progress from one level to the next. Whilst grammar tramslation
without internalisation can not efficiently achieve this - if the aim
of a individual is to be able to read the New Testament , a programme
of carefully selected material should enable a person to reach this
goal in much less time than the 10 thousand plus hours required to
master a language. Furthermore paying attention to translation issues
is essential if the aim of the individual is to in many cases express
the conclusions of his findings in some language than Greek to others.

In conclusion yes - grammar translation without internalisation is not
really up to scratch, but also internalisation without grammar
transaltion also does not meet the true needs.

Regards

John Knightley