[B-Greek] Tips for first-time teaching of NT Greek?

Bert de Haan dehaanaf at gmail.com
Tue May 6 22:00:40 EDT 2008

Mark Lightman Wrote:
>Your students will
>  learn Greek very well if they are bitten with the Greek]
>  bug, if they wind up averaging say an hour of Greek a
>  day for the rest of their lives.  If they don't, they won't.

I am not sure if the "If they don't" refers to being bitten by the
Greek bug or to averaging an hr/day or to both.  I assume to both.  I
find that a little discouraging and a bit unrealistic.
I am having a hard time to get an hour a day of Greek.  I could do it
if I were to neglect some of my other duties.  I am especially
thinking of my duties as husband and Father but there are other
obligations as well.  (And I am enjoying the happy circumstance of
having a wife and children who are more than willing to make
allowances so that I can indulge in my "strange" obsession.)
However, I am content with the idea that I may never get really good
at Greek.  At least I am enjoying the trip, even if my goal is only to
reach the half-way house and not to do the whole course so to speak.
What about someone who is learning Hebrew as well as Greek.  (S)he
pretty well has to get up in the morning, go to work, come home, have
supper, study languages, go to bed.
Very few people could do that without neglecting something else.
(Unless someone works 8 hrs/day and lives right next to the
workplace.)

Bert de Haan.