[B-Greek] syntax of NOOUMENA ROM. 1:20a

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Mon May 5 16:01:10 EDT 2008

On May 5, 2008, at 3:15 PM, Elizabeth Kline wrote:

> ROM. 1:20 TA GAR AORATA AUTOU APO KTISEWS KOSMOU TOIS POIHMASIN
> NOOUMENA KAQORATAI, hH TE AIDIOS AUTOU DUNAMIS KAI QEIOTHS, EIS TO
> EINAI AUTOUS ANAPOLOGHTOUS,  21 DIOTI GNONTES TON QEON OUC hWS QEON
> EDOXASAN H HUCARISTHSAN, ALL EMATAIWQHSAN EN TOIS DIALOGISMOIS AUTWN
> KAI ESKOTISQH hH ASUNETOS AUTWN KARDIA.
>
> The styntax of ROM. 1:20a appears to admit more than one analysis in
> regard to the participle NOOUMENA. The participle NOOUMENA is in
> concord with  TA AORATA, but what is the syntactical relationship?
> Does NOOUMENA form a clause with TOIS POIHMASIN?

My own take on this, for what it's worth, is that NOOUMENA functions
more-or-less adverbially with KAQORATAI and that TOIS POIHMASIN is
instrumental dative with KAQORATAI: "His invisible characteristics,
after all, have been discerned intuitively ever since the creation of
the world in the things He has created; ..."