[B-Greek] Tips for first-time teaching of NT Greek?

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Fri May 2 05:23:48 EDT 2008

Liwak HRWTHSE
 > In teh Fall, I"m gong to have the great opportunity
 to teach NT Greekj.  I've not done that ever before,
 even though I've wanted to do so for a long time. The
 course is an intensive, 12 units of Greek, the whole
 first year, in one quarter.  The standard textbook
 (though I don't think I have to use it) is Mounce (I
 learned using Machen, long before Mounce's book
 existed).  From looking at Rod Decker's web site, I
 got some other ideas about things to potentially also
 bring in.  However, I would just like to know if
 anyone has tips for a first-timer, as this is unlike
 any course I've taught before.  Conveying information
 on, say, Acts, is totally different from teaching the
 1 Aorist forms.   I've looked around search results
 from Google for tips but not found much taht I thought
 was useful. Of course, I got way many more hits than I
 examined, so theer may be gold out thjere I didn't
 look at.  Thanks.
 Ken Litwak >

 shalom Ken,

 You are undertaking a noble task. Intensive is
 preferable, in my book. Also take a very deep breath
 and say a prayer in Greek: BOHQHSON HMIN,
 KYRIE.

 Some specifics that I've found helpful:
 1. Get the most recent edition of James Asher's
 Learning Another Language Through Actions. Available
 on the web for about $20. Study how it was developed, and
 tested. There is no more efficient introduction to language.
 Amazing. Double-triple efficiency.
 This should be followed up by TPR Storytelling by Ray
 and Seeley. As Krashen says, 'there's nothing out there
 that comes close.'

 2. Avoid the audio files that are available with Mounce.
 See previous thread if you need to know why not.

 3. If you have six weeks and want to practice Greek 24/7,
 well, at least 4 hours in class and then with classmates
 or by oneself outside, drop by Qibbutz Tzuba 22
 June-August 1. (Acutally, you'll need to communicate
 quickly because the Qibbutz will run out of rooms. They
 have more going on than the little class of Greek
 students/teachers.

 4. Get an assistant for the class. If you are able to visit
 our SXOLH you will see that an incredible amount of
 energy is put out by the teacher and that two teachers
 make an 'intensive' class much more even and efficient.
 The ambiance stays 'high' and Greek for four hours. Plus
 some fun interaction can take place between the teacher
 and assistant that the class can follow like being in a
 real, comprehensible, immersion situation. That's what
 it takes if we want this language to grow inside a
 student as Greek. (See the Greek parable at
 http://alefandomega.blogspot.com/ "January" if you
 want a short reminder about why this is necessary.)

 5. Maybe the students can even set up a Greek room
 where they have an ARISTON or DEIPNON together or
 with a teacher. For class itself, you can get lots of props:
 rubber animals, shields, balls, anything for fun and
 games in the language. See Asher. There is nothing
 like saying PIASON THN SFAIRAN and tossing a ball
 to a student. Then ask, TI EPOIHSAS?  ... "e-e-epiasa"
 NAI, THN SFAIRAN EPIASAS. NYN, BALE AYTHN
 TW MAQHTH EKEI. ktl. RIPSON EPI TO EDAFOS ktl.
 ARON AYTHN ktl.
 ESTIN WS PAIDIA' (alpha oksytonos).

 ERRWSO

 Randall Buth

 --
 Randall Buth, PhD
 www.biblicalulpan.org
 randallbuth at gmail.com
 Biblical Language Center
 Learn Easier - Progress Further - Remember for Life

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicalulpan.org
randallbuth at gmail.com
Biblical Language Center
Learn Easier - Progress Further - Remember for Life