[B-Greek] Athematic Aorist Subjunctive

Stephen Baldwin stbaldwi at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 30 15:12:34 EDT 2007

Brethren:
No sooner mentioned Smyth and the Morphology of Biblical Greek, than a query has arisen.
I'm perplexed at Mounce's listings in MBG. In ss44.2c he states that athematic aorists are "Root Aorists" in that the ending is appended directly to the root with no connecting vowel, tense formative etc. He also states that hISTHMI is the only athematic verb that has both first and second aorist forms. Clearly in the subj., a connecting vowel is used. However, when he comes to discuss the aorist subjunctive (ss52), he lists *STA, *QE, and *DO as having both first and second aorist forms: Thus: DIDWMI has a 1A-A-Subj form of DWSW and a 2A-A-Subj of DW. (DWSW is identical to the F-A-I form.)

So I guess my question is: Are the two forms of athematic aorist subjunctive mentioned in MBG [a] a mistake or [b] badly described (in that he lists them without sufficient explanation) or [c] something else? (I am suspicious because I've found errors in the paradigms at the back of BBG too...)

I did consult my Smyth who did describe  athematic 2A-A-Subj (ss757) but who lists nothing subjunctive under athematic 1A-A/M in ss755. (Of course the information might be hiding elsewhere...)

Advice, corrections welcomed!

Rgds
Steve

Stephen Baldwin