[B-Greek] Greek textbook question re Duff

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sun Sep 30 05:22:22 EDT 2007

On Sep 29, 2007, at 9:27 PM, frjsilver at optonline.net wrote:

> I'm tempted to write something harsh in response to this, so I
> won't write anything at all.
>
> Besides, I have too much other b-greek mail (among other things) to
> catch up with now that I and my computer are beginning to function
> again.
>
> Father James

Let me just say, speaking for myself:
  (1) The question posed here is how anyone who knows Jeremy Duff's
primer judges its value and whether someone can recommend a better
resource for a beginner in Greek;
(2) I hope that any respondent would give the same answer to a
questioner who is not white, not Christian, and might be younger or
older than a 42-year-old.

I do think that made-up sentences for translation -- whether from
Greek to one's native language or from one's native language to Greek
-- are indeed the bane of inferior Greek textbooks. I think that, the
better the textbook, the more completely its study exercises are
based upon unadulterated or minimally adulterated original ancient
texts, and preferably longer rather than shorter texts, i.e.
paragraphs rather than short sentences or phrases.

For Biblical Greek, one of the better reading resources I've seen is
a relatively old little book first published in 1965: Ernest Cadman
Colwell and Ernest W. Tune, _A Beginner's Reader/Grammar for New
Testament Greek_ (details: http://tinyurl.com/yulzut). The very early
made-up sentences in this reader do not seem to me to be unidiomatic
and there are only a few pages of them; the reader starts at a very
simple level and works at once into connected sentences and paragraphs.