[B-Greek] UBS4-NA27 disagreements

Carl W.Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Sep 28 13:49:09 EDT 2007

Richard, I really do appreciate this compilation, but I think it's
worth checking through these items to see whether some of the
readings of UBS4 might in fact be the readings from the 4th revised
edition of 1993 (1st printing 1993, 2nd-4th printings 1994-2000)
rather than the latest 4th revised edition, 5th printing of 2001.
I''ll note what I've found on checking these references below:

On Sep 28, 2007, at 2:42 AM, Richard Wilson wrote:

> These are the disagreements I know of, apart from punctuation (by
> the way,
> most of them are listed at http://www.laparola.net/greco/ when you
> enter UBS
> and NA under "Compare manuscripts"):
>
> Matt 27:37
> UBS] βασιλεῦς (BASILEUS)
	UBS4-2001 has βασιλεὺς
> NA] βασιλεὺς (BASILEUS)
>
> Acts 7:16
> UBS3 NA] Ἐμμὼρ (EMMWR)
> UBS4] Ἑμμὼρ] (hEMMWR)
	This difference still stands.

> Acts 7:47
> UBS] Σολομῶν (SOLOMWN)
> NA] Σολομὼν (SOLOMWN)
	This difference still stands.

> Acts 17:7
> UBS: πράσσουσι (PRASSOUSI)
> NA: πράσσουσιν (PRASSOUSIN)
	This difference still stands.

> Rom 11:25
> UBS: ἄχρις (ACRIS)
> NA: ἄχρις (ACRIS)
	NA27 reads ἄχρι (ACRI).

> Rom 15:9
> UBS] ὀνοματί (OΝOMATI)
> NA] ὀνόματί (OΝOMATI)
	UBS4-2001 has ὀνόματί

> Rom 16:7
> UBS: Ἰουνιᾶν (IOUNIAN - masculine)
> NA: Ἰουνίαν (IOUNIAN - feminine)
> This is one of the two differences that create a real change in the
> text
> (not just spelling).
> It is not listed in the site mentioned above, because I found it
> recently
> and still have to update the database on the site.
	This difference still stands.

> 1Cor 16:3
> UBS: μήτιγε (MHTIGE)
> NA: μή τιγε (MH TIGE)
	UBS4-2001 still has μήτιγε printed as one word. Actually NA27
has μήτι  γε (MHTI GE), a combination of μήτι (MHTI) and
γε (GE). The γε (GE) is enclitic; I don't think combining it with
μήτι (MHTI) would be surprising in the MSS, but μήτι (MHTI
and γε (GE) usually are spelled with γε (GE) as an enclitic to
μήτι (MHTI).

> 1Cor 9:1
> UBS3] ἑώρακα (hEWRAKA)
> UBS4 NA] ἑόρακα (hEORAKA)
	UBS4-2001 still has ἑόρακα (hEORAKA)

> 1Cor 11:26
> UBS: ἄχρις (ACRIS)
> NA: ἄχρις (ACRIS)
	Actually NA27 has ἄχρι (ACRI)

> 2Cor 8:5
> UBS] ἀλλ' (ALL)
> NA] ἀλλὰ (ALLA)
	This difference still stands.

> 2Cor 11:25
> UBS] ἐραβδίσθην (ERABDISQHN)
> NA] ἐρραβδίσθην (ERRABDISQHN)
	This difference still stands.

> 2Tim 2:25
> UBS NA25 NA27] δώῃ (DWHi subjunctive)
> NA26] δῴη (DWiH optative)
> This is one of the two differences that create a real change in the
> text
> (not just spelling).
	UBS4-2001 still reads δώῃ (DWHi subjunctive).

> There is also a difference in Matthew 14:27, but that is caused by a
> typographical error (at least in my copy of NA27) with the wrong
> breathing
> on the article before Jesus.
	I don't see any difference between UBS4-2001 and NA27.

The only matter of substance here, so far as I can see, is the
different accentuation of Ἰουνιᾶν (IOUNIAN - masculine) and
Ἰουνίαν (IOUNIAN - feminine) in Rom 16:7 -- and that's a
matter of interpretation of what, in the older MSS at least, is an
unaccented text.