[B-Greek] Accents on proclitics

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Sep 28 05:37:27 EDT 2007

On Sep 28, 2007, at 1:32 AM, Esko Lossi wrote:

> In Matthew 5:37, "let your nai be nai and ou ou", why is there a grave
> accent on the first ou? Is it because it
> is considered to stand alone?
> Esko Lossi. Melbourne Australia.

Text: Matt. 5:37 ἔστω δὲ ὁ λόγος ὑμῶν ναὶ
ναί, οὒ οὔ· τὸ δὲ περισσὸν τούτων
ἐκ τοῦ πονηροῦ ἐστιν.
ESTW DE hO LOGOS hUMWN NAI\ NAI/, OU\ OU/; TO DE PERISSON TOUTWN EK
TOU PONHROU ESTIN.

I think that both these expressions are intended to be double and to
function as the predicate to hO LOGOS hUMWN: Don't offer oaths but
simply say, "Yes yes" or "No no." Since the first NAI and the first
OU are followed by the second NAI and the second OU immediately
without pause, they are accented with the grave.