[B-Greek] John 3:25

reznik1 at juno.com reznik1 at juno.com
Thu Sep 27 19:47:03 EDT 2007

-- George F Somsel <gfsomsel at yahoo.com> wrote:
I thought perhaps you had mis-spoken when you mentioned Jesus as being involved in this dispute.  It doesn't speak of a dispute of Jesus with either the disciples of John or with the Jews at this point.  The dispute was between the disciples of John and the Jews and concerned purification according to the text.  Perhaps someone might wish to read something more into it, but here we are concerned only with the text.
 george
gfsomsel  I suspect that I was not clear enough again. Let me try to simplify my question. Can the phrase be understood as "There was a disagreement with a Jew [who was] from the disciples of John", as if the verse read "EGENETO OUN ZHTHSIS META IOUDAIOU EK TWN MAQHTWN IWANNOU ..."? In other words, can
EGENETO OUN ZHTHSIS EK TWN MAQHTWN IWANNOU META IOUDAIOU PERI KAQARISMOUbe equal to EGENETO OUN ZHTHSIS META IOUDAIOU EK TWN MAQHTWN IWANNOU PERI KAQARISMOU? Sincerely,Dmitriy Reznik