[B-Greek] John 3:25

reznik1 at juno.com reznik1 at juno.com
Thu Sep 27 17:49:57 EDT 2007

Dear George,
Thank you very much for your answer.

-- George F Somsel <gfsomsel at yahoo.com> wrote:
EGENETO OUN ZHTHSIS EK TWN MAQHTWN IWANNOU META IOUDAIOU PERI KAQARISMOU There is actually no "of some" missing here.  The idea is included in the EK TWN MAQHTWN IWANNOU.  Here the genitive with [EK] is what is known a a partitive genitive signifying that it involves a part of the whole.   I understand that. Doesn't "part of the whole" in this case mean that only part, or some of the disciples of John where involved? I also think that we would be weakening the meaning here if we were to ony understand this as a "discussion."  It was a disagreement, a dispute.
 I agree with you. But in this case I am not concerned with the right translation of this word. Can you say something about my suggestion to translate the phrase as ""There was a disagreement [of Jesus mentioned in previous verses] with a Jew [who was] from the disciples of John", as if the verse read "EGENETO OUN ZHTHSIS META IOUDAIOU EK TWN MAQHTWN IWANNOU ..."? Because otherwise it is not clear what was the discussion about, and what it has to do with the context.

Thanks in advance,
Dmitriy Reznik