[B-Greek] John 3:25

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 16:56:02 EDT 2007

Ἐγένετο οὖν ζήτησις ἐκ τῶν μαθητῶν Ἰωάννου μετὰ Ἰουδαίου περὶ καθαρισμοῦ.

EGENETO OUN ZHTHSIS EK TWN MAQHTWN IWANNOU META IOUDAIOU PERI KAQARISMOU

There is actually no "of some" missing here.  The idea is included in the ἐκ τῶν μαθητῶν Ἰωάννου [EK TWN MAQHTWN IWANNOU].  Here the genitive with ἐκ [EK] is what is known a a partitive genitive signifying that it involves a part of the whole.  I also think that we would be weakening the meaning here if we were to ony understand this as a "discussion."  It was a disagreement, a dispute.

george
gfsomsel

defend the truth till death.

- Jan Hus