[B-Greek] John 3:25

reznik1 at juno.com reznik1 at juno.com
Thu Sep 27 16:26:18 EDT 2007

Dear scholars,
I have a question concerning John 3:25:
EGENETO OUN ZHTHSIS EK TWN MAQHTWN IWANNOU META IOUDAIOU...
I guess usually it is understood as "There was a duscussion [between some] of the disciples of John and a Jew..."
In this case we assume that the phrase implies the missing "of some". Is there any possibility to read it as "There was a discussion [of Jesus mentioned in previous verses] with a Jew [who was] from the disciples of John", as if the verse read "EGENETO OUN ZHTHSIS META IOUDAIOU EK TWN MAQHTWN IWANNOU ..."? Because otherwise it is not clear what was the discussion about, and what it has to do with the context.

Thanks in advance,
Dmitriy Reznik