[B-Greek] PARASKEUH (Preparation vs. Friday) (Was: Re: "The lexicon is wrong!")

Oun Kwon kwonbbl at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 23:21:16 EDT 2007

On 9/25/07, Carl W. Conrad <cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu> wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2007, at 9:00 AM, frjsilver at optonline.net wrote:
>
> > Dear Friends --
> >
> > Oh, my!  YES!  There are many outstanding examples of this problem
> > and I consistently stumble across new ones.
> >
> > The situation is exacerbated because (in my experience, although
> > I'm far from alone in this) 'mainstream scholarship' is often stuck
> > in first gear and on the whole exhibits the same liabilities as the
> > lexikons.  It's those of us outside that 'mainstream' who often
> > have a better handle on the text.
> >
> > Consider TRAPEZA in Acts 6.  Traditionally, it was thought that the
> > apostles were 'waiting tables' at the expense of their time and
> > energy which should have been devoted to preaching and teaching, so
> > they asked the Church to select seven deacons to take over the
> > menial work.
> >
> > It's true that some commentaries barely allow the possibility that
> > there might be a resonance of financial administration here, but
> > most completely miss the point.
> >
> > Guess what H EQNIKH TRAPEZA THS hELLADOS is?  No fair peeking, but
> > I'll give you a hint:  It's The National Bank of Greece!
> >
> > People who speak Greek get the meaning of Acts 6 right off the bat,
> > but the experts and scholars who don't speak the language are too
> > unconsciously comfortable in their dead lexikons to understand what
> > was going on.
>
> I think there's a logical short-circuit here; one might just as well
> say that one who speaks (Modern) Greek may be all too unconsciously
> comfortable about understanding the usage of a modern Greek word to
> be the same as that of the ancient word so-spelled. It is not quite
> the case that those who speak Greek today speak NT Koine Greek.

Carl's comment here reminds me of PARASKEUH appearing in the Gospels.

Most of people think it means something of Friday and some English
translations outrightly put this into the text to translate 'day of
preparation'.  I think it is based on erroneous retro-jection of the
modern Gk usage of this word.

I am curious how the modern Gk got this word to say 'Friday'. Was it
from influence of the Eastern Orthodox church which takes
'preparation' as Friday from 'preparation of the weekly Sabbath'?
Here again, I do not find any such expression in the N.T. (and O.T.)

Do the Hebrew speaking people (including modern Israelis) ever think
of preparing something specially in Friday for the coming Sabbath?

In all occurrences of this expression '(day of) preparation' (about 6
of them in the Gospels), I do not see any inkling of 'preparation for
sabbath'. It must be understood simply as 'preparation for the
Festival'.

For those with Friday crucifixion scenario it really does not matter,
but for those with other alternative (I am for Thursday crucifixion,
rather than Wednesday), every texts with this word make sense if one
simply take it as 'preparation (for the Festival)'.  In G-John there
is one spot using the expression 'preparation of Passover'.  Here, it
seems obvious that 'Passover'  itself refers to the Festival per se.

Please correct me,

Oun Kwon.