[B-Greek] "The lexicon is wrong!"

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Tue Sep 25 10:36:47 EDT 2007

On Sep 25, 2007, at 10:21 AM, frjsilver at optonline.net wrote:

> I'm not asserting that identical MG and KG forms are always
> identical in meaning -- far from it!
>
> But occasionally they are, and this is one of the situations where
> the correspondence is very helpful to comprehension.
>
> And while it's true that *some* lexikons illustrate the meaning of
> TRAPEZA as 'bank', there are many which don't, seemingly unaware of
> the metonym.

Which ones do you have in mind?
Even Barclay Newman's has "TRAPEZA, HS f table; food, meal; bank (Lk
19:23)"
NAS Greek has: "TRAPEZA trapeza; prob. from 5064 and 3979; a table,
dining table: —bank(1), food(1), table(9), tables(4)."
L&N have: "57.215 TRAPEZA, HS f: a place where money is kept or
managed or where credit is established — ‘bank.’ διὰ τί
οὐκ ἔδωκάς μου τὸ ἀργύριον ἐπὶ
τράπεζαν; (DIA TI OUK EDWKAS MOU TO ARGURION EPI
TRAPEZAN?)‘why didn’t you put my money in the bank?’ Lk 19:23.