[B-Greek] PSALLW (was RE: "The lexicon is wrong!")

frjsilver at optonline.net frjsilver at optonline.net
Tue Sep 25 10:14:05 EDT 2007

Dear Friends --

Although, while perhaps trying a bit too hard to be American,  many (not all) Greek Orthodox parishes in North America have installed organs (and pews!), the authentic orthodox tradition relies on the meaning of YALLW as something like 'chant' or 'sing poetry' -- no musical instruments involved. To my knowledge, there are no Slavic-flavored parishes in NA with organs.  We do use bells (where that's allowed) and we knock LOUDLY on large, resonant wooden planks to call people to prayer where bells are forbidden, as in Muslim countries.

Anyway, church singing was theologized way back, so we have early Christian Greek fathers instructing us that only the human voice is fit to praise God, and hence -- in spite of what we know of worship at the Temple -- instruments are forbidden to Christians.

This practical expression of YALLW seems to reflect an appreciation of the divine LOGOS and of our relative position as LOGIKOI.  The puns are endless!

Organs were used in the circus (classical meaning) and other secular entertainments in prechristian Rome, never in Roman temples as far as we know.  And even now the Greeks never tire of reminding people that the first organ known in Western Europe in the Christan era was a gift to Charlemage from his Byzantine counterpart, to be used for fun and pleasure.

But Big Charlie installed it in his church, much to the befuddled amusement of the Greeks at the time, and the rest -- as they say -- is history.

I realize that this comes as a bit of bad news for the church musicians among us, and I certainly don't mean to insult them or to demean their worship.  But it's good to know the history.

Peace and blessings to all.

Father James

Monk James Silver
Orthodox Church in America