[B-Greek] New UBS text announced

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Tue Sep 25 09:58:18 EDT 2007

On Sep 25, 2007, at 9:44 AM, James Spinti wrote:

> Thought listers might find this of interest, I just heard about it
> last
> night:
>
> UBS Greek New Testament
> A Reader's Edition
> Edited by Barbara Aland and Barclay M., Jr. Newman
> Hendrickson Publishers, Forthcoming January 2008
> 732 pages, English and Greek
> Flexible casebound
> ISBN: 1-59856-285-1
> ISBN13: 978-1-59856-285-9
> List Price: $69.95
> Your Price: $48.90
> http://www.eisenbrauns.com/wconnect/wc.dll?ebGate~EIS~~I~UBSGREEKN

>     The Reader's Edition combines the Bible text of the latest edition
> of the UBS4 Greek New Testament, edited by Barbara Aland, et. al.,
> with
> an Onpage Greek-English Dictionary, compiled by Barclay M. Newman.
>
>     Features
>     * On-page Dictionary providing translations of all vocabulary
> items
> occurring 30 times or less in the New Testament at the bottom of each
> page

PLEASE SAY IT ISN'T SO! This is just about the most useless NT Greek-
English dictionary there is -- I haven't seen anything that is so
tightly restricted to a minimal number of glosses. This is evidently
for the "reader" with minimal expectations and requirements regarding
understanding of the Greek text.