[B-Greek] PSALLW (was RE: "The lexicon is wrong!")

Perry Stepp plstepp at kcu.edu
Tue Sep 25 09:03:48 EDT 2007

An example that I have personally encountered has to do with the meaning of
PSALLW.

My friends in the non-instrumental Churches of Christ have consistently
argued that, in the New Testament period, PSALLW referred to unaccompanied
(i.e., a capella) singing, and NOT singing accompanied by stringed
instruments.

My understanding is that the green BAGD (2nd edition) reflects this view.
I'm not sure about BDAG.

(I, shamefaced, admit that I do not have the 2nd OR the 3rd edition.  I've
always been satisfied with old blue, and bothered my colleagues when I
needed the newer editions.)

PLS

Perry L. Stepp, Ph.D.

Dean, Sack School of Bible & Ministry
Associate Professor, Bible & Theology
Kentucky Christian University

"Every once in a while, you get shown the light
In the strangest of places, if you look at it right."
                        --Robert Hunter, "Scarlet Begonias"