[B-Greek] "The lexicon is wrong!"

Jonathan Robie jwrobie at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 25 08:37:07 EDT 2007

I'm involved in a discussion that revolves around the meaning of a few
Greek words, and some of the participants in the discussion (who
actually don't speak Greek) are claiming that a particular word doesn't
mean what it says the lexicon says, but means something significantly
different. I doubt that they are right, and none of is is a
lexicographer, but this makes me wonder ...

Can you think of examples where the meaning of a New Testament passage
has changed in the eyes of mainstream scholarship because we came to
realize that our earlier understanding of a Greek word was wrong? Are
there recent examples, say, in the last 20-30 years? Are there major
changes in the meaning of some words between BADG and BDAG?

Jonathan