[B-Greek] 1 Tim 5:23 TON STOMACON and ASQENEIAS

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Mon Sep 24 13:59:02 EDT 2007

On Sep 24, 2007, at 1:37 PM, Delbert Flora wrote:

> MHKETI hUDROPOTEI ALLA OINWi OLIGWi CRW DIA TON STOMACON KAI TAS
> PUKNAS SOU ASQENEIAS
>
> The wording of the verse seems fairly ambiguous. Since there really
> is no context to "connect the dots" here, is there any extra-
> biblical usage that would help us understand what TON STOMACON
> refers to and what are the options for ASQENEIAS? One source I've
> checked relates Timothy's condition to his youth (which seems to be
> making him nervous or intimidated, but this seemed like a stretch
> to me).

As the sentence is addressed to one person by another who knows the
addressee well, there's every reason to suppose that the meaning was
crystal-clear to Timothy, even if it isn't to us. It's easy enough to
suppose that Timothy has frequent bouts of indigestion for which an
occasional sip of wine might be helpful -- but the fact is, we simply
don't know any more precisely what the condition might be to which
the author is referring.