[B-Greek] Col 1:21: Meaning of EXQROUS

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 23 15:59:19 EDT 2007

On Sep 23, 2007, at 8:10 AM, Stephen Baldwin wrote:

> Ladies and Gentlemen:
> A small point about which I am a little perplexed:
>> From my reading, EXQROS means hating, hostile etc. But when used
>> substantively, it can mean enemy (BAG).
> In Col1:21, Paul speaks of "you at one time being [having been]
> alienated...KAI EXQROUS THi DIANOIA EN TOIS ERGOIS...
>
> I note that this is translated "enemies" in NIV. "hostile in mind"
> NASB. Of course, you could argue that there really isn't much
> between the two -- but I'm curious about the NIV translation given
> the stipulations about the presence or not of an article. Clearly
> EXQROUS is anarthous [isn't it?] and relates back to hUMAS...
>
> This reference (Col1:21) appears in BAG under the "subst." heading
> therefore as "enemy", also defined as "abs" (what does "absolute"
> mean in this context?)

JAMES 4:4 MOICALIDES, OUK OIDATE hOTI hH FILIA TOU KOSMOU ECQRA TOU
QEOU ESTIN; hOS EAN OUN BOULHQHi FILOS EINAI TOU KOSMOU, ECQROS TOU
QEOU KAQISTATAI.

Absolute can be explained by looking at ECQROS TOU QEOU KAQISTATAI in
James 4:4. Here  ECQROS is not absolute. The object of the enmity is
specified TOU QEOU. Compare hO DIOS ECQROS  Aesch.

Elizabeth Kline