[B-Greek] Col 1:21: Meaning of EXQROUS

Stephen Baldwin stbaldwi at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 23 11:10:15 EDT 2007

Ladies and Gentlemen:
A small point about which I am a little perplexed:
>From my reading, EXQROS means hating, hostile etc. But when used substantively, it can mean enemy (BAG).
In Col1:21, Paul speaks of "you at one time being [having been] alienated...KAI EXQROUS THi DIANOIA EN TOIS ERGOIS...

I note that this is translated "enemies" in NIV. "hostile in mind" NASB. Of course, you could argue that there really isn't much between the two -- but I'm curious about the NIV translation given the stipulations about the presence or not of an article. Clearly EXQROUS is anarthous [isn't it?] and relates back to hUMAS...

This reference (Col1:21) appears in BAG under the "subst." heading therefore as "enemy", also defined as "abs" (what does "absolute" mean in this context?)

Could anyone explain why it might be substantival?

Thanks as always...

Steve Baldwin
stbaldwi at hotmail.com