[B-Greek] The Aorist

rhutchin at aol.com rhutchin at aol.com
Sun Sep 23 08:12:18 EDT 2007

In Romans 8:30, we have--

OUS DE PROWRISEN TOUTOUS KAI EKALESEN KAI OUS EKALESEN TOTOUS KAI EDIKAIWSEN OUS DE EDIKAIWSEN TOUTOUS KAI EDOZASEN.

The question came up about the purpose of the aorist and how it is used.? I made the comment that the aorist can be used to emphasize the certainty of an event and can be used with regard to a future event to emphasize the certainty of that event occurring in the future.

The response that I received was that "Singular aorists by themselves can be used for a variety of things. But
a list of aorists always indicates a series of past events."? The person was arguing for the events of Romans 8:30 to have occurred in the past while I was arguing for a future fulfillment, and certainty, of those events.

So, what was Paul seeking to explain to the reader by using the aorist in Romans 8:30?

Roger Hutchinson