[B-Greek] Rod Decker on BDAG

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sat Sep 22 06:58:14 EDT 2007

B-Greek has been almost as quite as an unvisited crypt recently,
apart from James Tauber's pointer to his brilliant site that displays
declined forms of nominals in the GNT. It's time to inject something
more from the blogs: in this instance it's another nice entry by
erstwhile B-Greeker Rod Decker, a Greek pedagogue whom I admire and
respect immensely for all that he does for Greek learners not only at
his own institution but for the internet community as well. As I
think we've noted before, his _Koine Greek Reader_ will soon be
issued by Kregel, and I can recommend it highly, having read through
the manuscript in a late format. He has recently begun a "New
Testament Resources" blog associated with his extremely useful site
"New Testament Resources" (http://www.ntresources.com/). Yesterday he
posted a piece on BDAG (http://ntresources.com/blog/?p=38) bearing
the rubric, "The Value of BDAG for Pastoral Ministry" -- I think it
might just as well be entitled, "Mining the treasures of BDAG for all
they're worth." There are some interesting brief digressions there
(including some comments on Biblical software that involve opinions
that will not sit well with everybody) but much of it is addressed to
his own students and he's only sharing with the rest of us what he's
telling them. What a privilege it must be to sit in Rod's classrooms!
There are some matters on which Rod and I don't see eye-to-eye, but,
to paraphrase one of my wife's favorite expressions, "When I grow up
and teach Greek, I'd like to be a Rod Decker."

By all means, do check it out.