[B-Greek] 1 Pt 4.2

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 07:41:06 EDT 2007

Kimmo EGRAPSE
> On Tuesday 18 September 2007, Randall Buth wrote:
<snip>
> Two items attract
> attention for the grammarian and reader. a. The overall Focus of the
> paired items comes before this marked Contextualization. This
> (Focus--then Contextualization) is allowed in Greek but is not the
> more universal presentation of pragmatic ordering that goes from
> Contextualization to Focus. Hebrew, for example, does not use such
> orderings (besides abhorring a triple fronting).
<snip>

This is interesting. What other examples are there of the order focus before
contextualization? When is such a construction used?

Kimmo Huovila
 * * *

KIMMWI
XAIREIN

Over the last twentyfive years (before that I wasn't explicitly
noticing) I've seen enough of these to be convinced that
Focus--Contextualization before the unmarked core of a clause is good
Greek. However, I'm not a good secretary and do not have a list. I'll
probably forget 1 Pt 4.2 in a couple of weeks. You can usually
generate some examples by rapidly reading through a book. Most books
seem to have a few examples. 1 John might be tricky, though, because
it is so repetitious and cyclic. The repetition can sometimes be read
as either a Contextualization of a Focus.

I tend to limit F--C orders. In many cases one can read an alleged
F--C as Con--Foc--core, but there remains a base that establishes the
Focus--Contextualization phenomenon.

My approach to Foc--Contex--core is to treat the Contextualization as
a kind of reconfirmation of a Contextualization. Something like an
afterthought for clarification, only part of the internal grammatical
framework of the clause. It is certainly a topic needing further
study.

blessings
Randall

--