[B-Greek] Comprehensive Collection of Carl's Ad Nauseums

Bert de Haan dehaanaf at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 18:59:34 EDT 2007

> From: jmlineb at comcast.net (John M. Linebarger)

> I've only been a subscriber to the B-Greek list for a few months now, but I've come to recognize a pattern.  Whenever Carl Conrad introduces a concept with the phrase, "I've been insisting on this list ad nauseum that ...," I know that a paedogogical pearl is coming.  So I thought I'd start collecting in one place a list of Carl's ad nauseums, and I'd like your help in coming up with a comprehensive list.  (Please feel free to chime in yourself, Carl; ad fontes and all that.)
>
> CARL CONRAD'S PAEDOGOGICAL AD NAUSEUMS
>
> 1.  Learn at least a year of Attic Greek before proceeding to Koine Greek
> 2.  The goal of learning Greek should be to think in Greek, not to produce an English translation
> 3.  Reading large chunks of unfamiliar text is vital to being able to master the language
> 4.  Before looking up a word in the lexicon, exhaust all near and far contextual possibilities first.  In other words, try very hard to figure out the meaning of an unfamiliar word from its context before giving up and looking it up in the dictionary.

I can't change your list but the following one should be in top spot:
5. The "term deponent verbs" is useless at best and should be done
away with if we are to be successful learning about the Greek middle
and passive voice.

The following one probably has not reached the level of ad nauseam yet
but it is a pearl non the less;
6. In order to make headway in learning Greek you have to keep on keeping on.

 Bert de Haan.