[B-Greek] Rodney Whitacre's _A Patristic Greek Reader_

Mark House mark at househouse.us
Fri Sep 14 20:20:17 EDT 2007

Hendrickson has just released two new resources of interest to Greek
students, and is on the verge of releasing a third. In _A Patristic Greek
Reader_, Rodney Whitacre, who teaches at Episcopal School of Ministry,
offers a selection of readings from early church fathers such as Ignatius,
Polycarp, and Clement of Alexandria, but also later fathers like Gregory of
Nazianzus, John Chrysostom, and Symeon the New Theologian. Assuming a
working knowledge of basic Greek grammar and vocabulary, the book provides,
just below the text, helps with parsing and translating less frequent and
more difficult forms. The author's own translations of each text are
provided in a later section of the book. Appendices include a vocabulary
list and a list of principal parts of irregular verbs. Readings are ranked
according to difficulty. This book offers a less painful way for people with
some training in NT Greek to broaden their working knowledge of Greek.

Jerry Sumney, who teaches at Lexington Theological Seminary, has written
_Philippians: A Greek Student's Intermediate Reader_, a translator's and
interpreter's handbook that assists students to work through the grammatical
forms and constructions in the letter to the Philippians. The book contains
the complete UBS4 text of Philippians and offers a verse-by-verse
translation of the book. Throughout the book, text boxes define key
grammatical constructions and give simplified NT examples. Back matter
includes a concise summary of NT grammar and a glossary of grammatical terms
relevant to the book of Philippians. This is a great text for a second-year
Greek course or for independent students who want to take the next step
beyond beginning Greek.

The third resource is a new edition of the Westcott-Hort Greek New Testament
that preserves the text and formatting of the original while offering
user-friendly features like English section headings, Old Testament
references, and an apparatus that shows variants where the WH text differs
from the NA27 eclectic text and the Robinson-Pierpont Byzantine text. Bound
into the back of the WH GNT is a revision and expansion of the beloved
Souter Pocket Lexicon. Souter's clear and concise definitions covering the
entire NT vocabulary have been more consistently subdivided and numbered,
noun genders have been indicated, and noun and adjective endings have been
added.

Fuller descriptions, tables of contents, and sample pages of all three of
these new resources are featured on Hendrickson's new releases web page:
http://www.hendrickson.com/cgi-bin/pub/hp_search?category=academic&main=1

Hendrickson is also excited to announce that it is also now the major
American distributor of materials published by the German Bible Society,
such as the UBS and NA Greek New Testaments. We have already begun entering
into joint publication projects with GBS, such as a wide margin and
loose-leaf editions of NA27, and more joint projects are planned.

Mark House
NT and Greek books editor
Hendrickson Publishers