[B-Greek] Rodney Whitacre's _A Patristic Greek Reader_

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Sep 14 06:57:29 EDT 2007

I've seen notices of this book before, but haven't read the blurb and
the TOC until I saw Rick Brannan's blog with the above-cited rubric
this morning:

http://tinyurl.com/27hrbu

What really caught my eye first of all, however, was the italicized
aside in the opening sentence of the blog: "if you want to improve
your Greek reading skills, then you need to read large chunks of
unfamiliar text." That's something I think I've reiterated ad nauseam
in this forum; I think that reading lots of unfamiliar Greek text
will be infinitely more efficacious for learning to read Koine Greek
than attempting to gain that competence via a reverse interlinear
digital translation. I haven't seen Whitacre's book and I'm not
trying to sell it, but it looks like "the right stuff." Of course, I
think the "large chunks of unfamiliar text" ought to include
contemporary secular literature, such as Epictetus or Marcus Aurelius.