[B-Greek] Marketing Biblical Greek

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed Sep 12 10:44:16 EDT 2007

On Sep 12, 2007, at 10:01 AM, frjsilver at optonline.net wrote:

> MALISTA FILESTOI!  Bravo!
>
> For some reason, my mind wandered to Keats's brief paean on
> 'Chapman's Homer' quoted just below.
>
> Imagine the pleasure of reading hOMHROS in the original -- no
> dictionaries, no grammars!  Imagine the joy of reading the gospels
> and letters without the distractions of an intermediate apparatus!
>
> Peace and blessings to all.
>
> Father James
>
> Monk James Silver
> Orthodox Church in America
>

> Arthur Quiller-Couch, ed. 1919. The Oxford Book of English Verse:
> 1250–1900.
>
> John Keats. 1795–1821
>
> 634. On first looking into Chapman's Homer
>
> MUCH have I travell'd in the realms of gold,
>   And many goodly states and kingdoms seen;
>   Round many western islands have I been
> Which bards in fealty to Apollo hold.
> Oft of one wide expanse had I been told         5
>   That deep-brow'd Homer ruled as his demesne:
>   Yet did I never breathe its pure serene
> Till I heard Chapman speak out loud and bold:
> Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
>   When a new planet swims into his ken;  10
> Or like stout Cortez, when with eagle eyes
>   He stared at the Pacific—and all his men
> Look'd at each other with a wild surmise—
>   Silent, upon a peak in Darien.

 From the Homeric Hymn to Delian Apollo, the words here cited arae
addressed to the girls who sing and dance at the Panionian festival
on Delos:

   χαίρετε δ' ὑμεῖς πᾶσαι· ἐμεῖο δὲ
καὶ μετόπισθε
   μνήσασθ', ὁππότε κέν τις
ἐπιχθονίων ἀνθρώπων
   ἐνθάδ' ἀνείρηται ξεῖνος
ταλαπείριος ἐλθών·
   ὦ κοῦραι, τίς δ' ὔμμιν ἀνὴρ
ἥδιστος ἀοιδῶν
   ἐνθάδε πωλεῖται, καὶ τέῳ
τέρπεσθε μάλιστα;          170
   ὑμεῖς δ' εὖ μάλα πᾶσαι
ὑποκρίνασθ' ἀμφ' ἡμέων·
   τυφλὸς ἀνήρ, οἰκεῖ δὲ Χίῳ ἔνι
παιπαλοέσσῃ,
   τοῦ πᾶσαι μετόπισθεν
ἀριστεύουσιν ἀοιδαί.

CAIRETE D' hUMEIS PASAI: EMEIO DE KAI METOPISQE
MNHSASQ', hOPPOTE KEN TIS EPICQONIWN ANQRWPWN
ENQAD' ANEIRHTAI XEINOS TALAPEIRIOS ELQWN:
W KOURAI, TIS D' UMMIN ANHR hHDISTOS AOIDWN
ENQADE PWLEITAI, KAI TEWi TERPESQE MALISTA?
hUMEIS D' EU MALA PASAI hUPOKRINASQ'  AMF' hHMEWN:
'TUFLOS ANHR, OIKEI DE CIWi ENI PAIPALOESSHi.
TOU PASAI METOPISQEN ARISTEUOUSIN AOIDAI.

Roughly:
Hail to you all! -- and hereafter remember me, whenever any long-
suffering mortal stranger comes here and asks you, "Girls, what man
who comes here is the sweetest of singers, and who is it that gives
you the greatest pleasure?" Then all of you give answer rightly about
me, "He's a blind man, and he lives on rocky Chios; when all is said
and done, it is his songs that are all the best."