[B-Greek] Aspect and Aktionsart definitions

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Mon Sep 10 11:44:57 EDT 2007

On Sep 10, 2007, at 10:59 AM, Mitch Larramore wrote:

> Delbert:
>
> I don't think so, but you are very close. It seems to
> me that you have Aspect right, but Aktionsart is more
> than what you have. To Aktionsart you add all factors
> together, such as grammatical aspect, lexical and
> contectual factors, and any other element that can
> influence the given verb.
>
> Mitch Larramore
>
> --- Delbert Flora <delbert.flora at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Are there agreed upon definitions for "Aspect" and
>> "Aktionsart" by most
>> grammarians/linguists?
>>
>> Is Aspect (Perfective, Imperfective, and Stative)
>> also called Grammatical
>> Aspect?
>>
>> Is Aktionsart (Iterative, Durative, Constative,
>> Ingressive, etc.) also
>> called Lexical Aspect?

What is Aktionsart?

It’s not my own definition but from the neat little Matthew DeMoss
_Pocket dictionary for the Study of NT Greek_:
“The feature of the Greek language whereby the quasi-objective
quality of the verbal action is indicated (duration, repetition,
momentary occurrence, etc.), both morphologically and by *tense forms
and lexico-syntactically according to contextual features. Some older
grammars used the term synonymously with *aspect, pl. Aktionsarten.”