[B-Greek] Idioms of the Greek New Testament

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Sep 7 18:59:51 EDT 2007

On Sep 7, 2007, at 5:49 PM, John Boyce wrote:

> Do any listmembers have experience of/opinions on, this work by
> Stanley E.
> Porter? I'd be interested to hear them as I have only the
> opportunity to
> shop by internet and cannot view a copy prior to purchase. Any info on
> similar or better works would be gratefully received.
>
> Thanks, folks,
>
> Seán Ó Buaidhe

I'm glad that I picked it up (a second-hand copy) simply to check out
Porter's take on various grammatical questions. I would not, however,
want to rely on it as my sole or even primary grammar for NT Koine
Greek. I think one ought, if using Porter, at least to have BDF as an
alternative for another perspective on grammatical matters. But AT
Robertson's big grammar remains very useful. All things considered,
however, I continue to believe that the single most useful reference
grammar for NT Koine Greek is Smyth -- and that isn't even, properly
speaking, a NT Greek grammar.