[B-Greek] Searching the B-Greek Archives for words or texts

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Sep 7 04:40:06 EDT 2007

On Sep 7, 2007, at 1:19 AM, David McCoy wrote:

> Hello list members:
>
> FAQ: Archives for B-Greek: B-Greek Archives: http://
> lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-greek/
>
> Here may be found the correspondence accumulated from list-members
> since the inception of the list in 1992. There are gems here, and
> to assist you to discover them, the webmaster, Jonathan Robie, has
> provided a powerful search engine that will quickly enable you to
> find discussions on a topic of interest to you, if in fact, that
> topic has at some point in the history of the list also been of
> interest to others.
> ---------------
>
> So, I went to that URL (http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-
> greek/) and I
> just don't see anything that looks like a search engine.  Can
> someone help
> me see where this is?

The URL cited above will take you to the B-Greek archives and let you
access all messages by thread, subject, author, or date from any
specific month since December 1996 (older archives WITH a search-
engine at  http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/archives/index.html)

First let me note that it’s easier to find things in the archives if
you use standard BG transliteration and search using key words in a
text that you’re inquiring about, e.g. PISTIS IHSOU CRISTOU or
SWTHRIA or DOULOS. (Note: only recently have we allowed citation of
Greek texts in Unicode fonts and we still ask those who use the
Unicode fonts to include a standard BG transliteration; consequently
a search using standard BG transliteration is better for finding
discussions of words or groups of words in a text from our archives
that go back to 1995).

Searches based on scriptural references may not get all the hits that
would be proper because b-greekers use half a dozen different
spellings and reference styles for references.

There are a couple avenues:

(1) Curtis Hinson’s (Jun 25, 2005, at 9:46) search device:
-----
“Just download this tiny ZIP file I made:      http://
curtishinson.com/bgreek.zip

‘Once you have the zip file, drag the file bgreek.reg inside it onto
your desktop, double click it, and answer the prompt that comes up.
You can get rid of the reg file and the ZIP once you’ve done that.

"Now you should be able to search B-Greek by typing “bgreek”, a
space, and keywords in your browser’s address bar to find messages in
the archive.

"Disclaimer: I tested this on Internet Explorer and on Firefox on
Windows XP.  I think it should work on most or all Microsoft Windows
varieties of IE.  If it doesn’t work for you, it shouldn’t do any
harm, it just won’t work.  The capability is built into MS TweakUI by
the way, I just found the reg key it creates.
-----

(2) Firefox B-Greek search plugin (created by Bob Firth, 9/7/2005):
http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html?name=b-greek&submitform=Find
+search+plugins
Tiny URL:  http://tinyurl.com/38223s

(3) An older device (you have to add the word or words of your search
to this):
http://lists.ibiblio.org/htdig/cgi-bin/htsearch?%
20config=htdig&restrict=%2Fpipermail%2Fb-greek&words=
Tiny URL:  http://tinyurl.com/yw2ptl