[B-Greek] MENOUN in Acts 14:3??

Bryant J. Williams III bjwvmw at com-pair.net
Thu Sep 6 17:12:07 EDT 2007

Dear Webb,

It appears that changing from MEN OUN to MENOUN would be nice, but USB3 & 4 and
NA-27 all show MEN OUN. That does not mean that the uncial may have been misread
at this point, but unlikely. Furthermore, I checked Metzger's *Textual
Commentary on the Greek New Testament* (pp. 419-421, referring to 14:2-7) and it
does not comment on any misreading of MEN OUN.

Blass-DeBrunner-Funk (BDF), page 232, para. 447 (3),

    "A large part of the Lukan examples, however, consists of resumptive MEN OUN
(paragraph 451(1)), in which the MEN only in rare cases indicates real contrast,
and of anacoluthic MEN (without correlative DE) with a more or less serious
breach of good sentence structure."

Several examples in Acts are listed with MEN only.

Pages 234-235, para. 451 (1).

    "Ouv, one of the more frquent particles in the NT, is the most common of
these. (MY note: referring to Consecutive (inferential) co-ordinating
conjuctions). It is fairly well distributed in all books, although it is far
commoner in the narrative books and commonest by in Jn (pf tje Johannine
Epistles only 3Jn 8; it is interpolated in I Jn 2:24, 4:19). It does not always
furnish a strictly causal connection, but may be used more loosely as a temporal
connectivein the continuation or resumption of a narrative. In Acts, Lk is in
the habit of emphasizing OUN in a narrative sentence beginning with a noun or
pronoun (or articular participle) with MEN, which need not be followed by a
contrasting DE. After parenthetical remarks OUN indicates a return to the main
theme (resumptive)."

    (1)    MEN OUN in Acts: 1:6 hOI MEN OUN SUNELQONTES..., 18 hOUTOS MEN
OUN..., 2:41hOI MEN OUN APODEXAMENOI, 9:31 hAI MEN OUN EKKLHSIAI..., etc. It is
sometimes used here to state further events, sometimes to summarize what has
been previously narrated in order to form a transition to a new subject....It is
used in this way in Lk 3:18 POLLA MEN OUN KAI hETEREA PARAKALWN EUHNGELIZETO TON
LAON (the only ex. of MEN OUN in the Gosp. of Lk)...."

This verse is mentioned on page 171, para. 332, regarding The Complexive
(constative) Aorist also referring to para. 318 and the Ingressive Aorist.

En Xristwi,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III