[B-Greek] Acts 13:32-33

Steve Runge srunge at logos.com
Tue Sep 4 14:27:20 EDT 2007

Iver,

I will take a shot at addressing the pronoun question.  I would agree that it makes sense to understand hHMIN as part of the participial clause rather than as an appositive.

If it were the primary indirect object of the main verb, one expect it to find it immediately following the verb.

If these two phrases were in apposition, I would have expected hHMIN to be the primary IO, with TOIS TEKNOIS (AUTWN) as the thematic appositive, not the other way around.  Semantically redundant appositives often recharacterize the referent in a specific way that is salient in the context.

Alternatively, if the pronoun were indeed intended to function as an appositive to TOIS TEKNOIS (AUTWN) as the primary IO, the addition of an ascensive KAI would be the most likely way of unambiguously marking this ('even TO US').

I did a search in OpenText's syntax database, based on how they analyzed things, to look for similar structures.  They construe hHMIN as appositional, so I looked for other places where a pronoun played a similar role.  Thus the following list should be viewed as representative rather than exhaustive.

Searching for NPs that have a similar structure with a pronominal modifier following an adjectival modifier of some kind, there are only 8 in the GNT:  Lk 15:30, 32; 19:27; Acts 8:22; 13:33; Rom 7:24; 1 Cor 8:9; and 1 Pet 5:10.   With the exceptions of Acts 13:33 and 1 Pet 5:10, the pronominal appositives/modifiers are all demonstratives.  This would make sense, as the demonstrative helps to highlight the thematic salience of the NP.  In 1 Pet 5:10, the pronoun AUTOS is used as an intensive pronoun, accomplishing a similar task to the demonstrative.

As Act 13:33 is written, I would say that the function of hHMIN is technically ambiguous, but I would cast my vote against it being read as an appositive in favor of your reading, based on usage elsewhere I could find.

FWIW,

Steven Runge, DLitt (Biblical Languages)
Scholar-in-Residence
Logos Research Systems, Inc.
http://www.logos.com/academic/bio/runge