[B-Greek] John 2:15

reznik1 at juno.com reznik1 at juno.com
Tue Sep 4 12:53:18 EDT 2007

I have a question concerning John 2:15.
KAI POIHSAS FRAGELLION EK SCOINIWN PANTAS EXEBALEN EK TOU hIEROU TA TE PROBATA KAI TOUS BOAS...
For this NKJV has:
When He had made a whip of cords, He drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen...
The NIV gives:
So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables.
As I understand, according to the NKJV, as well as most of the other versions, Jesus drove people (with the animals) with a whip, but according to the NIV, He used the whip only for animals. It seems to me that the NIV is more correct, not because I don't like beating people, but because of how the Greek phrased is constructed. Could you tell if I am wrong?
Thanks,
Dmitriy Reznik