[B-Greek] Greek keyboards

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 14:07:17 EDT 2007

I saw some questions on fonts and keyboards.

Life in Greek might be getting easier, and certainly more plugged in to the
broader stream.

May I suggest that people make a conscious decision to adopt the Greek
national typewriter keyboard as the base for recommendations for the coming
generation? It's kind of a no brainer. Students need to be given a
touch-type standard. Keyboards should be evaluated for whether thay maintain
contact with the Greek typwriter base, or not. I simply don't recommend or
mention keyboards that are not based on the typewriter standard.

I am aware that the XP Polytonic Greek version has slightly different accent
strokes from the Mac X Greek polytonic version and that the XP is a tad
cludgy for the accents, but both of them are based on the same typewriter
keyboard layout alpha-wmega. I recommend learning to touch-type either. But
I cannot recommend learning to touch-type "proprietary layout abc", no
matter how close to "English" it might feel.

Think:  what would a kid do in Athens for typing the ancient language? Yes,
they still need to do homework in highschool on the classical language. If
someone wants to invent a new layout, fine, they do that in English, too.
But teachers should at least present the Greek typewriter standard as a
first option or a base for Greek students.

By the way, all the above applies to Hebrew, too. and Accordance now offers
the Greek national keyboard (and have always offered the Israeli national
keyboard) for those who have learned to touch type those languages. may they
be many.

ERRWSQE

Randall Buth

--