[B-Greek] Font Test

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Mon Sep 3 06:15:44 EDT 2007

On Sep 3, 2007, at 5:08 AM, Richard Ghilardi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> That didn't work either. Can someone help me?

(1) You must be using an e-mail program that allows Unicode UTF-8;
some programs still don't, e.g. Eudora; that's why I switched
reluctantly away from Eudora -- I'm told that Eudora is going to be
an Open Source program soon with a relationship to Mozilla, and will
probably allow Unicode then).
(2) What you must check in your mail program is "Text Encoding" and
see whether that includes a UTF-8 option, and if so you must select
it/click on it.
(3) You must use a font that has Unicode characters AND you must have
the UTF-8 encoding selected at the same time. It won't do just to be
using Gentium (there are now lots of Unicode fonts with Greek glyphs)
-- I'm using the Mac OS X 10.4 version of Times in this message --
any Unicode font that has Greek glyphs will show up for others that
have Unicode-equipped e-mail programs -- and readers don't even have
to have the SAME Unicode font you're using.
(4) So: you must have text-encoding set to UTF-8, you must be using a
Unicode font with Greek glyphs, and you also must be entering the
Greek text with some keyboard device that allows you to type Greek
characters with proper accents. There are several such; I'm using a
GreekKeys Unicode(US) keyboard on a Mac running OS X10.4.10 and
writing in Times.

There are several good resource sites about Unicode Greek on the
internet. Here are a couple:

Unicode Classical Greek:
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~tayl0010/html_help.html
= http://tinyurl.com/yrve23

Brief Guide to Greek Unicode (at TLG: a downloadable 2.6M PDF file):
http://repositories.cdlib.org/tlg/unicode/1/
= http://tinyurl.com/2y6j7b

> =======================================
>
> On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 03:55:22 -0500 Richard Ghilardi
> <qodeshlayhvh at juno.com> writes:
>> Hello Folks,
>>
>> My earlier attempt at using a UTF-8 font, Gentium, to represent
>> Greek
>> characters was a failure. So let me try again.
>>
>> eaVn mhV oJ kovkko" tou' sivtou peswVn ei" thVn gh'n apoqavnh/,
>> autoV" movno" mevnei: eaVn deV apoqavnh/, poluVn karpoVn fevrei.

ἐὰν μὴ ὁ κόκκος τοῦ σίτου πεσὼν
εἰς τὴν γῆν ἀποθάνῃ, αὐτὸς μόνος
μένει· ἐὰν δὲ ἀποθάνῃ, πολὺν
καρπὸν φέρει