[B-Greek] Passive Imperative SUGCARHTE

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sat Sep 1 10:43:36 EDT 2007

On Sep 1, 2007, at 10:05 AM, Delbert Flora wrote:

> Luke 15:6
>
> ...  SUGCARHTE MOI hOTI hEURON TO PROBATON MOU TO APOLWLOS
>

> I am still processing this from earlier posts. How would we understand
> SUGCARHTE in this passage semantically as to voice? There is an Aor
> Midd
> Imp, so the FORM is Passive.
>
> And, where did the Q go (it is not SUGCARQHTE)? Does this drop due
> to some
> liquid verb rule?

You're right that this is Passive in form -- but it's the
"Second" (i.e. archaic) Passive in -H- rather than the "First" (i.e.
later) Passive in -QH-, and if the truth be told, it's actually an
intransitive aorist active. This verb has aorist in SUNECARHN and
future in SUGCARHSOMAI. The meaning is middle rather than passive.