[B-Greek] Eph 4:13 questions

Daniel Goepfrich pastor at oaktreecc.org
Wed Oct 31 09:27:20 EDT 2007

Hello,

In Eph 4:13, Paul writes that we are to grow the the point of

EIS METRON hHLIKIAS TOU PLHRWMATOS TOU CRISTOU

I have two questions:

1) According to LSJ, hHLIKIAS means stature or height in reference to a
body. What is a good way to read EIS METRON hHLIKIAS? That we are expected
to attain to only a part of Christ's stature?

2) I'm doing a study on Eph 4:11-13 and notice the three words KATARTIZW,
TELEIOS, and hHLIKIAS. In Trench's *Synonyms* he lists TELEIOS alongside
HOLOKLHROS and ARTIOS. I believe that ARTIOS is the same root as KATARTIZW
(please correct me if I'm wrong). Does hHLIKIAS and HOLOKLROS share that
(and thus a similar meaning) as well?

Thanks

Daniel

--